Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Black Bean Soup





















Makes 6-8 Servings

2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 - 8oz. package cubed ham
1-2 packages Chorizo, sliced
2 cans Goya Black Beans (do not drain) or Black Bean Soup
1 packet Goya seasoning
1-2 cans water

Directions:

Saute garlic and onion in oil until onions are clear. Add ham and sausage and cook until heated through. Add black beans w/ liquid, water and seasoning. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until sausage is softened how you like it. Cool and serve w/ chopped scallions and sour cream if you like it!



You can boil this soup for as long as you like--I have simmered it on the stove for several hours before. It's great in the crockpot as well. Generally, you would use as many cans of water as you do beans, but it's all personal preference, whether you like it thicker or thinner. The seasoning is excellent, and very strong, so if I use 3 cans of beans and water, I only use 2 packets of seasoning, but if you do like 5 cans of each, I would use 3 packets. If you use the same amount of packets as beans and water, it may be too salty, but again, it's personal preference. Some people like it saltier. This is one of my favorite soups...it is DELICIOUS. I know the selection of Goya seasonings can be a little overwhelming, but don't sweat it--I've tried them all, and they are all good. I normally buy the orange box w/ the veggies on the cover, but they are all good. Also, I sometimes use fresh smoked or cajun sausage instead of chorizo...it's a little less greasy and the kids like it a little better. Easy and delicious...you can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment