Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Crockpot Calico Beans















Makes 4-6 Servings

2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled, or 1 lb fully cooked bacon, cut up
1 large onion, chopped
1 large can baked beans
2 cans dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can butter beans, drained
1 can lima beans, drained
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a greased crockpot and stir together until combined well. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Serve with cornbread and fresh chopped onion if desired.



This is one of our favorite, super easy, super quick, super filling recipes. I usually like to keep cooked ground beef in ziploc bags in my freezer, and I always have some of the fully-cooked packages of bacon on hand, so if I've forgotten to pull something out of the freezer for dinner and I look at the clock and it's 2pm already, I still have plenty of time to throw this together and still get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour. It tastes sweet like baked beans, and is delicious over cornbread. Sometimes we like to put some chopped green pepper in the crockpot too and you will want to taste it and add extras of the last five ingredients and/or some salt if you think it needs it. I do a lot of tasting and adding this or that...I will never serve something to my family (or friends or anyone for that matter) that I haven't tasted first! I am a HUGE fan of crockpot meals, especially in the summer when I don't want to heat up my whole kitchen for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment