Friday, July 13, 2007

Chocolate Butter-Cream-Cheese Frosting




Makes 3-4 Cups Frosting

2 - 8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 stick (8 Tbsp.) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
1/2-3/4 cup cocoa

Directions:

Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla and stir. Slowly add cocoa and mix well. Spread over cooled cake or cupcakes.



This is a delicious frosting that I created late one night when my daughters and I had made a cake and we needed a frosting and I was out of whipping cream. I decided a cream cheese frosting would go well with the Devil's Food cake we made, and then I had a pre-softened stick of butter that I needed to use up, so I decided to add that in too. After adding the sugar and vanilla, the frosting was delicious. But we were in the mood for chocolate, so I added in the cocoa and voila! You can always add more or less cocoa if you desire a heavier or lighter chocolate flavor. A teaspoon or two of instant coffee will give it more of a mocha flavor too that is really good. Or, if you just like vanilla cream cheese frosting, you can omit the chocolate altogether! This frosting is so rich and creamy, it is like heaven in a bowl! When the leftovers have chilled in the fridge overnight, you will almost swear you are eating a chocolate cheesecake. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment