Saturday, June 15, 2013

Oven-Roasted Lemon Garlic Rosemary Chicken & Crispy Seasoned Red Potatoes

One of my very favorite meals is oven-roasted chicken. I love chicken so much, I could eat it every day and never tire of it.
(Does this look delicious or what? If making a whole chicken like this has you scared, fear no more! This is one of the EASIEST meals to make and you'll earn the awe of your family and friends with its perfection. :))

     Of course I have to mix it up with red meat and pork, mainly for the males in my household, and I enjoy other meats too, but I just love chicken. My husband is flabbergasted when I order oven-roasted chicken at our favorite Steakhouse, but it's so delicious and just as good as homemade, except I don't have to make it myself! Last time we went, I actually gave in and ordered a medium steak and what happened? It came back rare. And I had to send it back and get them to cook it some more. Should've stuck with the chicken! ;) 
     I love a good steak or burger or pork chop just as much as the next meat-eating person, but I have yet to find a burger at a restaurant that is even half as good as my hubs makes them on the grill. I can usually find chicken that satisfies, but maybe I'm just pickier when it comes to other meats and only homemade will do. I don't know. 
     Anyway, last night I made two oven-roasted whole chickens, boiled 20 ears of corn and roasted 2 lbs of seasoned red potatoes in the oven for my hungry family. A family of six can put away some food! Since we remodeled our kitchen a couple months ago, the new double oven made quick and easy work of it. Potatoes in the top oven, chickens in the bottom and corn on the stovetop. It was one of those dinners that people would think took all night but in reality was so easy to make and took hardly any prep time at all.


Oven-Roasted Lemon Garlic Rosemary Chicken

Makes 4 Servings

1 Whole Chicken, giblets removed
1 lemon
1 head of garlic
2 tablespoons of dried rosemary
4 tablespoons melted butter
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.

Spray roasting pan with cooking spray and place chicken inside, breast side up. Slice lemon and head of garlic in half, no need to peel either. Sprinkle salt and pepper liberally inside chicken cavity, then stuff both halves of lemon and garlic inside. Rub melted butter all over the chicken, massaging it in well and making sure to cover all outer surfaces. Sprinkle plenty of salt and pepper all over the chicken, then sprinkle rosemary evenly. Bake in oven for 90 minutes, then remove pan and cover with foil; let sit for 20 minutes before carving.


Crispy Seasoned Red Potatoes

Makes 4 Servings

1 lb red potatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 435.

Wash potatoes and cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half again, leaving you with potato quarters cut in wedges. (You can cut each half into three or four wedges if you like smaller wedges, this is what I did last night. If you prefer your wedges to be pretty crispy, you can either pre-boil these potatoes for 5 minutes or microwave them for 2-3 minutes to get them a little softer before baking, which will make for a crispier potato out of the oven.) Place potatoes in a large ziploc bag along with olive oil and shake well. Add seasonings and shake well until evenly coated. Pour onto greased cookie sheet and bake on bottom rack for 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.




     Give this meal a try and you'll be so pleased with the results. The butter gives the chicken such amazing flavor and keeps it moist along with getting that nice golden, crispy skin that looks straight out of a cooking magazine. I'm already looking forward to leftovers for lunch today! Yum, yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment