Saturday, June 1, 2013

DIY Vintage Milk Jar

     One of the most popular recipes in our house is Buffalo Chicken Dip. We buy Rickey's Chicken Wing Sauce from Sam's Club because it is a huge jar for a great price and it tastes great too. The jar it comes in is such a cool shape, I never can bring myself to put it in the recycling bin. Instead, these jars get makeovers and live in our home with us, or get passed on to a friend. I gave my last one ombre teal stripes, so when we finished the latest jar of wing sauce, I found myself pondering a few different ideas and the one I finally chose to go with this time was a vintage milk jar...can you see it!? 


Here is what the jar looks like as soon as we get it home from Sam's:

The one on the right is the one we usually get. That bigger one on the left looks awesome too, I think I'll have to get that sometime just for the jar! So first things first: I cleaned it out with super hot water to dissolve the glue, making it easy to cleanly remove the label. Then I washed it out with warm soapy water, dried it as best I could then let it air dry the rest of the way overnight. 

Now I have this plain glass jar: 


I'm sure you know what's coming next! Yep, spray paint, one of my favorite things! I used Valspar gloss white spray paint this time, but the cheapo stuff from Wally World works just as well. I took it outside, placed it upright on some cardboard and gave it a few light coats of paint, letting it dry about 10-15 minutes between coats. While that was drying, I designed a quick vintage milk label in Photoshop and saved it as a jpg. Then I opened that up in my Silhouette software and cut it out in solid black adhesive-backed vinyl. 

Here's the painted jar and vinyl, all ready to be applied!


I applied the vinyl to the milk jar using transfer paper and rubbed really well to make sure all those tiny letters stayed on the jar before peeling away the transfer paper, leaving me with an adorable DIY "vintage" milk jar. She will be right at home up on the planter's ledge in my kitchen! Technically, she is foodsafe on the inside, but I don't plan to use it that way; I just thought this made such a cute little photo, I had to stage it like that. :) Here she is in all her glory:


Isn't she pretty? She's going to look perfect up above my cabinets on that ledge! I chose "Lester" because that was my Nana and Papa's last name, my mom's maiden name, all my Northern family's last names...just another way to make me think of them every time I look at it. 

And just because I'm really nice, I'm going to share my label with you! :)

Feel free to use it for your own personal milk jar, or how cute would this look on a wooden crate? So many adorable ways to use it! If you want to use it in your Silhouette, just open up the jpg in your software and select the Trace option, adjusting the high and low pass until you get the look you want, then remove the jpg and voila, all ready to cut! You could also easily print this out and mod podge it onto a bottle or crate if you don't have a Silhouette. I may decide to further distress it with some distress ink or a dry brush and brown glaze...but for now she's bright and shiny and ready to go on the shelf.

*If you use my label for a project and/or showcase it on your blog, please give credit to Kitchen Full of Sunshine. Personal use only. Please no redistributing. Thank you!*

Hope you have a great Saturday! It's the weekend! Get to crafting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment