Friday, February 7, 2014

Simple, Easy, Egg Salad Sandwiches

My kids pack a lunch four out of five school days a week. (Fridays they get out early.) So this can be a challenge to try to come up with enough variety that they don't get bored. They have access to microwaves so sometimes they pack leftovers or heat-up type things like frozen bagel bites, Chef Boyardee, etc. But one thing all four of my minions have in common is their love of sandwiches. They come by that honestly because one of my very favorite things is the sandwich. At breakfast, I'll be the one making my scrambled eggs and toast into a sandwich. At dinner, I'm over there using my garlic bread and barbecued chicken or my roast beef and dinner roll to make a sandwich. Anytime I have the chance, I eat sandwiches and/or create a sandwich out of what I'm eating. So one of my kids' and husband's absolute favorites is egg salad sandwiches. And since it's super easy to make, I often make some on a Sunday to put in a container for them to use throughout the week. 


Makes 6 Servings

12 eggs
1/2 - 1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dill weed
2 tablespoons minced onion

Directions:
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water to 1" above eggs. Bring to a boil and turn off the stove. Let eggs sit for 15-17 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel eggs and dice as big or as large as you prefer the cubes. Mix together diced boiled eggs and remaining ingredients, tasting and adding extra seasoning as desired. 



Use your judgment on how much mayo to add depending on how wet/dry you like your egg salad. I like mine not too watery but not too dry…in the middle. We like to put some sliced pickles, sliced Romaine lettuce or baby spinach leaves and extra pepper and a dash of paprika on ours. I also like my bread toasted, but the kids like theirs soft like in the photo above. You could also make egg salad melts by spreading the egg salad on a piece of bread or english muffin and topping with a slice of cheese (and tomato if you like that) and putting it under the broiler for a minute or two. Yummy!! Hope you have a great weekend, see y'all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment