Thursday, July 18, 2013

Crockpot Mississippi Roast

We eat a lot of chicken. That's probably because I love chicken the best and I'm usually the one doing the cooking. ;) I could probably eat it every day. Or at least 6 out of 7 days in a week. But I wouldn't do that to my family. I know they appreciate it when I mix it up, so I do try to alternate meats when meal-planning. I'll do chicken one day, ground beef the next, then pork, then meatless, chicken again, beef, etc. Last night we had BEEF. And not just plain beef. A delicious, tender, tasty beef ROAST. My kids always cheer when they discover we've got beef roast on the menu. I must admit I really love it, too!


This roast is a simple as you can get. A tablespoon of au jus mix, a tablespoon of ranch seasoning mix, a stick of butter and a handful of pepperoncini peppers is all you need to get some amazing flavor out of a cheap chuck roast or whichever type of roast you prefer.




Makes 6 Servings

1 3-5lb. beef roast
1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
1 tablespoon au jus seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick of butter
6-8 pepperoncini peppers
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3-4 teaspoons water

Directions:

Grease down your crockpot and place the roast inside. Sprinkle the ranch, au jus and salt over the top of the roast. Place a stick of butter on top of that, then put the peppers around on top. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 4-6 hours. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with water using a fork or whisk. Skim all the oil/fat off the top of the liquid in the crockpot. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture until completely dissolved. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Stir before serving. Serve with potatoes, rice, pasta or bread.



This roast forms its own gravy that is delicious served over mashed potatoes, our personal favorite, or egg noodles or even rice. We've also used some crusty bread to sop up the gravy. You don't need to add any additional liquid to this roast, the beef gives off its own liquid as it cooks down. I've even put a frozen roast in there and had it turn out just as good! And let me tell you...leftovers in a hoagie with some of that gravy for dipping make an EXCELLENT lunch the next day! Yummo! This is one easy-peasy recipe. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment