Friday, July 26, 2013

Rewind: Timothy's Amazing Turkey Burgers


It's been nearly 5 years since I first posted this recipe, and it remains one of my favorites! My brother Timothy came over last night and cooked some up for us and I was amazed again at how much flavor and moisture can be found in something so lean. He made them in a skillet with a little olive oil last night and I baked up some frozen french fries to go along with them. We had some bakery rolls as well as some of the Arnold Sandwich Thins, which honestly were my favorite, and I'm ALWAYS a bakery-bread kinda girl. The ratio of bread to meat was smaller so it allowed the flavor of the meat to be the shining star of the dish. I like mine best with a little bit of mayo, a slice of romaine and a slice of onion, but the hubs does his up all the way with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup and mustard. We didn't do any cheese on ours last night but I tend to think a mild tart cheese like Provolone or Swiss would be perfect with these burgers. 



Makes 12 Burgers

3 lbs ground turkey
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix turkey, bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 12 patties. Cook in a skillet on medium-high with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or grill them about 5-7 minutes per side. Put on a serving dish, cover tightly with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. 





If you read back over the original post nearly 5 years ago, you'll read about how I had a huge aversion to ground turkey for about 5 years after my pregnancy with my second daughter, Annabelle. I'm so glad that I got over that because I had always been a huge fan of replacing ground beef with ground turkey whenever possible, and now I've gotten back into the practice of doing that at least half the time. These burgers are truly delicious, much lower in fat than beef burgers, and with the awesome flavor they have, you don't even miss the fat. Trust me! 
Have a great weekend, see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment