Friday, July 19, 2013

Southern Peach Cobbler

One of my husband's very favorite desserts is peach cobbler. Most of the time I do a simple dump cake (1 can of peaches + 1 box yellow cake mix + 1 stick of butter, melted and drizzled on top in an 8x8 pan for 30 minutes) which is really delicious also, but every once in awhile I get the ambition to do a "real" one like all the nice ladies used to bring to dinner-on-the-grounds at the church I went to growing up. There were casseroles galore, chocolate brownies with the perfect thin, chocolate crusty layer on top, corn casserole, fried chicken and neverending amounts of sweet iced tea. Mmmm. My brothers and sisters and I LOVED dinner-on-the-grounds day at church! We got to hang out with our friends after church, eat lots of good food, and play lots of kickball, going home worn out and exhausted at the end of the day. Which was the part I'm sure my parents loved the most. It was the best!



Makes 8 Servings

2 28oz cans of peaches, drained (or 3 cups fresh, skinned, pitted and sliced)
2 cups baking mix
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 stick of butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.

Mix the baking mix, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon together with a wire whisk. Slowly stir in the milk and melted butter until combined and a soft dough is formed. Tilt the dough into a greased 9x13 baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle peach slices on top evenly and bake on the middle rack for an hour. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.



Oh yeah, I love me some peach cobbler! Sad to say on this particular evening, we were all scarfing ours down so quickly that I never got a shot of it on a plate! Oh well, you get the idea. :) I personally like mine plain, without the ice cream--and I can eat it warm or cold, I like it either way. Something about the silky peach slices mixing up with the amazing combo of crusty and mushy, bready goodness just makes my mouth oh-so happy and brings me back to the days of running around with my friends after church for dinner-on-the-grounds. I have a particular fondness for peaches...must be the Georgia Peach in me coming out! Now I've got a hankering to go mix up some peach cobbler right now to satisfy my sweet tooth that is craving a big bowl of the stuff right now. I know no one in my household would be complaining one bit! It's Friday! What's everyone got going on this weekend? Tonight is sushi night here and we've got some friends and family coming over to roll up some yummy rolls and drink some sake so we're really looking forward to that. My Spicy Mayo will be mixed up in a bulk batch, of that I am certain. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment