Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ranch Dressing & Seasoning Mix

If your family is anything like mine, you use those little ranch seasoning packets pretty regularly. I have a pile of recipes that call for that tasty little seasoning. But the problems with those seasoning packets are a) MSG b) expensive & c) you're always out when you need it. So I've taken to making my own. I mix everything together in a medium mason jar, shake it all together, and voila, I've got homemade ranch seasoning mix! It lasts for 2-3 months on the shelf theoretically, however, we use ours pretty quickly, so we've never had to test that theory! We use it in dips, snacks, dinners, or we mix it up with some mayo/yogurt and milk to make a quick ranch dressing when (not if) we run out. 



Today I've got it in my crockpot along with a roast that is happily simmering along and smells delicious. Already looking forward to dinner! That recipe will be making an appearance here on the blog tomorrow. :)

Okay you delicious little seasoning, your time to shine!



Makes 6 "Packets"

1/2 cup parsley
2 tablespoons dill weed
2 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons minced dried onion flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons dried chives
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

Directions:

Whisk everything together in a large bowl (or shake it up in a mason jar!) and store in a ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2-3 months. Use 1 tablespoon for 1 packet of ranch seasoning. Mix 1 tablespoon with 1/3 cup of milk and 1/3 cup of mayo or Greek yogurt to make dressing.



I've got mine in a mason jar in my spice cabinet. I used my trusty little P-touch labeler to make a label for it with the measurements on there so I'll never forget what I need if hubby is the one needing it, he'll know exactly how much to use. ;) I have a beautiful Mississippi Pot Roast going in my crockpot right now, which calls for this seasoning along with a few other things. It's so much easier to make your own "convenience" foods and mixes! Use your freezer, use your cabinets and pantry space to save money and time as well as making healthier options for your family. It's seriously a great feeling for me when I have a "Mom" accomplishment like this! And to be honest, I actually like the taste of the homemade one even better than the stuff I can run down to Publix and buy ready-made. Yay Wednesday, the weekend is in sight! And my hubs actually has the weekend off...a rare occurrence indeed! Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment