Thursday, September 18, 2008

Easy Italian Bread

Mmm, growing up my mom made this bread and it always smelled so good. I remember the smell of the yeast as she made the dough, and the smell of the dough as it was rising and the smell of the bread as it was baking…takes me right back to my childhood home…



Makes 1 Loaf

4 cups flour
1 package yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water

Directions:

Dissolve yeast in a small bowl with oil and 2 tablespoons warm water. In large bowl combine flour, salt and sugar. Stir in 1 cup of warm water and yeast bowl contents, making sure to get all the yeast from the bowl. Add 1/2 cup more warm water if needed. Knead dough for 20 minutes. Put in oiled loaf pan and turn to coat with oil. Let rise 2-3 hours until double in size. Knead again 20 minutes. Cut slit on top, add oil into slit and bake at 450 for 30 minutes.



This simple recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. The fragrant smell it gives off while baking still brings back memories of childhood. No matter how many times I make it, I can never resist that very first warm slice with a pat of butter on it. This bread goes great with practically any meal, or it can be sliced to use for sandwiches, or buttered and seasoned for garlic bread. Nothing beats this bread!!

No comments:

Post a Comment